What is the trigeneration and how does it works

Trigeneration plants for industrial uses.

Principles of operation of trigeneration:

Trigeneration, also known by its English acronym CCHP – Combined Cooling Heat and Power – is capable of generating three types of energy.

In addition to generating electricity and heat (as in the case of cogeneration), it also produces cooling energy.

Trigeneration technology incorporates all the components found in a cogeneration plant, plus an absorption chiller-the element that enables the conversion of recovered heat into cooling energy.

The trigeneration system has its heart in the natural gas-fueled engine, this can be of two types: a turbine operating according to the brayton-joule cycle or an endothermic engine operating with a Otto cycle. Through a special alternator, mechanical energy from the engine is converted into electrical energy with efficiencies averaging between 35 and 40 percent.

Using very high-efficiency heat exchangers, heat is recovered from the flue gas and engine casing and subsequently converted into cooling energy through absorbers that make water as cold as 7 degrees centigrade, achieving overall efficiencies in the range of 85 to 90 percent.

Absorption chillers have several advantages, having no moving parts, a useful life of more than 20 years, and using process heat waste (in this case from the gas engine), they represent one of the most widely used eco-friendly technologies for producing cooling energy.

In addition, these machines do not use greenhouse gases or ozone reactants, which is why they do not release any pollutant emissions at the end of their life cycle.

In fact, the coolants used to operate these facilities are diverse and usually water-based, which as stated above, are environmentally harmless compounds.

Advantages of trigeneration: 

Conventional thermal power plants convert about 30 percent of the fuel energy into electricity and the remaining 70 percent is lost in heat given to the environment, with a trigenerator more than 80 percent of the fuel is harnessed, both in terms of electricity and as energy suitable for an absorption cycle for refrigeration of rooms or fluids.

In particular, we can list the following advantages: 

  • Reduction of energy costs by 30 to 40 percent
  • Reduction in fuel consumption
  • Reduction in environmental impact
  • Reduction in transmission energy losses
  • Possibility of taking advantage of government incentives
  • Continuity and security of energy supply

Why you should choose Termogamma

Because Termogamma is a true tailor of energy solutions, a company that puts people and the care of the empathetic aspect of each relationship ahead of the mere sale, in fact, in 35 years of development it has always highlighted and tried to develop to a greater extent the steps that distinguish it from other players in the sector, such as listening to the real needs of the client, total flexibility on the solutions offered and maintenance service designed to generate lasting relationships based on trust.

In fact, Termogamma’s company policy, given its size, allows it to really follow the customer through his or her doubts, ultimately offering him or her a unique solution designed specifically for his or her business reality.

Termogamma takes care of every aspect and stage of the journey a customer takes after the desire to embrace a green policy, thus ranging from the genesis of the intentional idea to install a trigeneration plant to the care of the latter until the death of the trigenerative solution.


Other articles

What is cogeneration

Cogeneration for industrial applications Introduction: The concept of cogeneration, as the word itself suggests, alludes to the production of electrical and thermal energy simultaneously thanks